[ANN] Tantalus

Jon Hylands jon at huv.com
Mon Aug 19 11:34:10 UTC 2002

On Sun, 18 Aug 2002 21:02:31 -0700, Colin Putney <cputney at whistler.net>
wrote:

> I'm happy to announce the first release of Tantalus, an
> object-relational mapping framework for Squeak. At the link below,
> you'll find the framework itself, a couple of drivers, and some
> documentation. I'll be glad to here any feedback you might have.

I have a couple comments. You say in the documentation "The objects
inserted must not contain circular refrences" yet your example objects (in
the documentation) have a circular reference in the relationship between
ABPerson and ABTelephoneNumber, and presumably when you send
#addTelephoneNumber: to the person it sets this up. How does this work?

Since you don't seem to have any form or support for transactions, how can
you possibly handle mutliple users? Atomic inserts and updates of multiple
objects from a single user are a cornerstone of relational database
integrity. Its a problem you don't want the application to have to deal
with -- that's what database frameworks are for.

And finally, are you familiar with GLORP? How does Tantalus compare with
GLORP, and why would I want to use it instead?

Later,
Jon