mp3s sound funky on Squeak ( Windows )

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Mon Aug 19 19:22:56 UTC 2002

>When I open the MPEGPlayer on a 3.2 image or a 3.3a image, and
>select an MP3 file, then press the play button -- it plays, but it
>sounds really, really garbled.  How should I troubleshoot what's
>going on?
>
>I'm running on Windows 2000 and I should have the latest updates for
>both 3.2 and 3.3.
>

>Thanks,
>Brent

Well as some background information, the MPEGPlayer plugin doesn't
play or display anything. Rather plugin just decompresses the bits
and presents them to Squeak for Squeak to display the video and to
play the sound.

I'd suggest you confirm that Squeak sound playing works correctly
first, see the examples category on the class side of Speaker.

This should give you an indication if sound is ok from Squeaks
viewpoint, originally I used QueuedSound (part of this logic) in the
mpeg player to do the playback.

Also can execute the following code to playback video/audio for the
my.mpg file. This code plays back mp3 without Morphic involvement,
just so you can rule that out as an issue.

| foo |
foo _ MpegPlayer playFile: 'my.mpg'. "provide the file name here"
foo playStreamWaitTilDone: 0 "To play audio/video as currrent process"

Let us know what happens