sound with linux rpm

John Hinsley johnhinsley at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Aug 20 00:36:39 UTC 2002

On Monday 19 August 2002 19:14, Ned Konz wrote:

> I don't know why it's logging gettimeofday (mine doesn't),

Eeek! That _is_ worrying!

> but you can
> always do this:
>
> strace -o log -e 'trace=!gettimeofday' squeak my.image

Ah.

strace -o log -etrace'=!gettimeofday' squeak -memory 120m Squeak3.2.image

gives me something much more manageable, a mere 240Kb or so. (If anyone wants
a look, feel free, just ask....)

From my (not very educated in the ways of Squeak, sound plugins or the
interaction of either with Alsa and the OSS compatability stuff) it looks
like -- and I can convince myself it sounds like -- access to /dev/dsp is
temporarily being blocked and restarted time after time. It (that is, the mp3
I'm playing) sounds rather like driving past a band playing a concert at
60mph where a series of reasonable regular obstructions are between you and
the band.

My guess is that Ian is right and I need to upgrade the alsa stuff. But I've
no idea where this leaves Brent who seems to have a similar issue on Windows.

Cheers

John