Trying to understand Browser

Roel Wuyts roel.wuyts at iam.unibe.ch
Wed Aug 21 12:04:40 UTC 2002

[I haven't been using Squeak for a while and didn't really followed the
mailing, so sorry if my reply to this mail doesn't make much sense.]

If the point is to remove all the changed: messages because they are
currently not being used, then I think that it is a big mistake. I am
thinking of porting the StarBrowser to Squeak, but I want a decent way
to capture all kinds of system related events like that. If you want to
remove the 'self changed: #whatever things because there now is another
kind of event mechanism: fine. If you want to remove them because there
are tools that currently do not take advantage of these things: please
let them stay. Otherwise I'll probably need to add them again later...

On Wednesday, August 21, 2002, at 01:17 PM, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
wrote:

> Ned Konz <ned at bike-nomad.com> wrote:
>> On Tuesday 20 August 2002 04:46 am, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:
>>
>>> If I understand this correctly the references to:
>>>
>>> #classSelectionChanged
>>>
>>> ..are all of the kind "self changed: #classSelectionChanged".
>>>
>>> So they are useless? I mean who is listening to all those #changed:
>>> events?
>>
>> nobody, I think.
>>
>> The real action is in #classListIndex:, which is sent by the list when
>> a selection is made.
>
> Yes, I have understood that. My browser is actually already up and
> running somewhat. :-) Coming soon to an image near you.
>
> But all those sends of changed: could be removed right? And couldn't we
> scan the whole image for such "changed: symbol" where there are none
> other references to that symbol and simply remove those lines?
>
> regards, Gˆran

Roel Wuyts                                                   Software
Composition Group
roel.wuyts at iam.unibe.ch                       University of Bern,
Switzerland
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~wuyts/