Newbie questions...

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Thu Aug 22 05:17:54 UTC 2002

salut :)

are you also aware of
	- www.esug.org
	there will be a lot of squeakers and this is next week in France at
Douai

	- there is a french mailing list around smalltalk and squeak
	Welcome to the Squeak-fr at lists.squeakfoundation.org mailing list!

   squeak-fr at lists.squeakfoundation.org

On jeudi, août 22, 2002, at 12:05  AM, konrad.hinsen at laposte.net wrote:

> I have just started playing around with Squeak, and I am duly
> impressed... with just about everything except the state of
> documentation. Every detail seems to be covered somewhere, but I am
> looking for some overview. I found a helpful book ("Squeak" by Xavier
> Briffault, in French), but there are still open questions.
>
> For example, before I start any serious project, I would like to be
> sure that I don't loose my work due to stupid mistakes, careless
> import of code, a system update, or whatver else might happen. I have
> seen plenty of references to file ins/outs, changesets, projects,
> etc., but I don't really know what I should use in which circumstances
> or for what purpose.

Open the dual sorter (in change menu)
and learn how it works, save your change using this tool, it will
automatically number the changeset
and increment them. There is no good and integrated version management
system right now like in other Smalltalk  but the changeset are really
usefull and practical.

Always do a script from which you can reload your image
something like:

| path my proj mwpath|
path := FillInTheBlank request: 'Enter the directory of the distribution
(end with a folder separator' initialAnswer: FileDirectory default
pathName, FileDirectory pathNameDelimiter
asString.
my := 'Stable32Turtle-17', FileDirectory pathNameDelimiter asString.
mwpath := 'MW32-4599', FileDirectory pathNameDelimiter asString.
(FileStream oldFileNamed: path , mwpath, 'MW-32a-4599.3.cs')
fileIntoNewChangeSet.
(FileStream oldFileNamed: path , mwpath, 'MW-32a-4599-diff.3.cs')
fileIntoNewChangeSet.
(FileStream oldFileNamed: path , my, 'FixSharedQueue.1.cs')
fileIntoNewChangeSet.

> A related problem is the evolution of the whole system. There seem to
> be neither "undocumented" nor "officially documented" parts in Squeak.
> So if I want to make sure that my code will still be useful next year
> in Squeak 42.7, what can I safely rely on?

Good question :)
There is no obvious answer like any changing system. People are working on
modules to try to stratify squeak and identify more stable part. However
this is a long process.

Dr. Stéphane DUCASSE (ducasse at iam.unibe.ch)
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/