Newbie questions...

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Thu Aug 22 07:30:44 UTC 2002

Hi all!

Let me describe how I work as ONE way of doing things.

First I have ended up with 3 different images:

- One 3.2 image which I use with Celeste and exploring. I don't work in
that image because I like Celeste too much to scare her. :-)
- One 3.3alpha image for any work with Modules etc.
- One 3.2 image in which I do all my regular coding.

I don't use Projects at all. I have no reasoning for that, I simply
hasn't seen the need yet.
I instead rely on ChangeSets. It goes like this:

- I always have ONE changeset current that I call "updates 020816" or
something. The date shows when I started it clean. This cs collects
everything I do.

- Then regularly I open up a dual change sorter and look at this cs. I
then sort everything in there over into more specific changesets -
typically one for each "module/procect" that I work with. I also have a
couple of changesets called "fixes-xxx" in which I collect my changes to
existing classes. "xxx" can be "Comanche" or some other component that
someone else maintains. When my updates changeset has been emptied I
rename it with a new date and then I fileout all changesets that I moved
anything over to. This will create new .cs-files with numbering showing
the latest.

- If my image crashes I have in 99% of the cases simply chosen
"changes...->recently logged changes.." and picked out whatever I had
done since my last image save.

- Regularly I save the images and load updates into them to stay on the
edge. On disk I also have vanilla images (that I haven't touched more
than removing the Squeak logo :-) ) with names including the update
level like "Squeak3.2gamma-4881.image". Sometimes I open up the latest
one, load updates and save the image with a new name and update level.

- When I release anything I do that by creating a directory called say
"httpview-020614". Copy the latest numbered changesets of the ones
needed, include a little .st file for installing them and then zip it up
and place as a download somewhere on some Swiki like this:
http://anakin.bluefish.se:8000/gohu/6 (you may of course steal the
install script for your own use, it simply just files in a few
changesets in the correct order)

Well, that is about it I think.

regards, Göran