Newbie questions...

Konrad Hinsen hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr
Thu Aug 22 20:09:59 UTC 2002

Ned Konz <ned at bike-nomad.com> writes:

> Have you seen the Squeak Swiki (http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak)
> yet? It has lots of information, though the organization and updating
> could stand improvement.

Yes, that's where I found many of the details.

> Change sets maintain related code changes under a name.

So I suppose it is the programmer's task to define what goes into
a change set?

On what level do change sets work? Class, method, code line... ?

> As you change things in your system, the changes file records them.
> Even if you trash your image, you can browse and file in individual
> changes from a changes file.

That sounds quite useful!

> Projects let you save a World in binary format with all its objects.
> You can also choose to save the current Change Set with the project.

But which objects exactly are part of a project? Everything in
Smalltalk is an object, after all. If I open a System Browser in a
project and add a method to an existing class, does that class become
part of the project? Or just the method? Or neither?

> MVC hasn't changed much at all, though there have been new tools
> added.

My impression from browsing various sites is that nobody uses MVC
any more except for compatibility. Is that correct? In other words,
should I simply forget about MVC?

Konrad.