[MinneStore] - On the road again

Aaron reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Thu Aug 22 22:21:44 UTC 2002

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Chris Muller wrote:

> > it'd be more work than I expected to get Magma working in a 2.8 image
>
> This is a little bit surprising because Magma is straight Smalltalk with no
> system changes (well, maybe one).  Do you recall what some of the issues were?

The biggest issue was that I spoke without knowing what I was talking
about.  Brian Rice was telling me that Magma loved the WeakArrays and that
they weren't in 2.8, and required primitives.  I've honestly not had the
time to work towards my new layer on top of Magma or SMS, so I've not done
much with them on a 2.8 image yet.  However, I just looked now, and 2.8
does indeed have WeakArrays.

I just tried filing it in using load.ws into the Dynapad R0.1 image, and
it choked on filing in MaBaseAdditions- no MethodReference.

However, this may be a tiny issue- I can't spend much time on it here at
work, perhaps tonight.  But MethodReference sounds oddly meta-ish. :P

Also, in comparing size between Magma and SMS, I wonder how much could be
trimmed out of a Magma install if all one needed was local work, no server
or TCP/IP client.

Aaron