[BUG]Collection>>removeAll:

Andrew C. Greenberg werdna at mucow.com
Fri Aug 23 02:55:39 UTC 2002

On Thursday, August 22, 2002, at 01:32 AM, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:

> "David Griswold" <David.Griswold at acm.org> wrote:
> 	You made a blanket assertion, that methods should not ever return
> 	garbage silently, and that it is their responsibility to make sure
> that
> 	such results are prevented.
>
> Procedures, functions, methods or whatever should be so designed that
> they
> do not return garbage silently.

It seems to me that a correct diagnosis as to whether all parameters of
all functions fall within the computable range of every function may be
a something of a breakthrough in recursive function theory.  We might
use such a process to help solve the halting problem.

As a practical matter, I would always prefer that erroneous inputs be
identified and flagged.  However, I'm not sure Richard is proposing a
solution that satisfies his own requirements.  By using an ad hoc
solution for a parameter not in the range of a coherent definition of
the function, all he has done is to widen (silently) the definition from
a general recursive function to another general recursive function of
the form: do this, except in this special case, in which case do that.

The latter form of function may be as likely to return "garbage"
(defined as a not necessarily expected result) as the function it
purports to replace.

I think Richard argued passionately and credibly, but I'm with Ralph and
David on this one.