Swiki pollution...

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Fri Aug 23 13:01:18 UTC 2002

Hi again!

Torge Husfeldt <Torge.Husfeldt at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi,
> I think the first thing we should do is to write down terms and condidions of use of the swiki, make them appear on every edit page (shortened and with a link to the full version (posiibly showing in a different window)) and add a checkbox reading "I know and accept the terms and condidtions of use of this swiki" initially unchecked. If the submitter doesn't check this box he will be given a second chance (maybe provide for not losing pending edits here).

Hmmm, in principle I agree, but in practice I think it would be better
to try to simply limit access.
The people using the Swiki for other things than "Squeak" must surely
have seen the first page and are aware of the fact that this swiki is
for Squeak. And obviously they don't care, so why would they care about
some sort of "terms and conditions" page? My guess anyway.

> Without such a disclaimer the offender doesn't even have a chance to kwon that his contributions are unwanted other by detecting that they're being undone the next day or so.

Well, I still say that if they haven't even bothered to look at the
first page then I don't care. Really.
And of course, we can add a line with big letters on the front page
"Only information about Squeak is welcome on this swiki, everything else
will be removed".

But still, if they need to get onto the mailinglist (or something) to
get a password this will not really be needed either.

> The "terms" should state:
> -The goal of the community
> -Places of swikis with less narrow focus/places to set up your own swiki
> -legal issues
>
> Note that in some countries it isn't even possible to deny the responsibility of the contents provided by anonymous commiters. This is why most guestbooks that belong to companies (in germany at least) use the 'valid eMail known to site owner' policy. Which we might have to adopt eventually (in case swiki owners get prosecuted for illegal activities taking place on their sites).

True. But that would have to be a question for the people hosting Minnow
since their own laws apply over there.

By the way, I wrote:

> > Personally I think I am all in favour of closing down the whole swiki
> > with a password for changing pages and let that password be known on
> > this Swiki or something.

That should be "...on this mailinglist or something." of course.

regards, Göran