Swiki pollution...

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Aug 23 12:28:01 UTC 2002

On Friday, August 23, 2002, at 05:02  AM, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
wrote:
> Ok guys, what are we going to do with all the "pollution" on the Swiki?
>
> And now I am NOT talking about MP3 uploads etc - that is actually a
> rather harmless problem, I am talking about clueless people using it for
> completely other things than Squeak:
>
> http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2583
>
> (This one I sortof stumbled over because of the name...)

If you only stumbled across it, is it really such a problem?  If people
put up things related to Squeak, or decide to try out the Swiki in the
Squeak Swiki, is that a big deal?

The MP3's are a problem because they eat bandwidth and slow down the
server.  A few K of text and graphics bothers me less.

That said, a Swiki deeply integrated with Squeak would be wonderful --
we've made a few passes at it (MuSwiki, ProjectWeb).  It's hard to
balance usability, bandwidth, and transparency, but it would be terrific
if we could get it right.

Mark