Use of Underscores

Stephen Pair spair at acm.org
Fri Aug 23 12:38:47 UTC 2002

This brings up another issue (of much controversy)...should underscore
be dropped as the assignment operator?

A few years ago I argued against dropping it because it was something
that made Squeak distinctive...but recently, having to work in multiple
Smalltalk dialects, I've started using := routinely...it's just too
frustrating to go back and forth.

So, now I'd say let's adopt a more standard type face that agrees with
the rest of the world for our fonts, and switch to := for assignment.
Either that, or we should come up with a Squeak keyboard that has keys
on it for assignment and return.  Either way, I think using keyboards
designed for a different character set than we have in Squeak is not
good.  Either the keyboards need to change, or the character set we're
using needs to change.

Just MHO.

- Stephen