[MinneStore] - On the road again

Chris Muller afunkyobject at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 23 17:35:16 UTC 2002

Aaron wrote:

> I just tried filing it in using load.ws into the Dynapad R0.1 image, and
> it choked on filing in MaBaseAdditions- no MethodReference.
> However, this may be a tiny issue-

Yes, that is a tiny issue.  BaseAdditions does includes a few methods that are
used by some other frameworks, but not Magma.  If you simply find the string
"MethodReference" in the MaBaseAdditions.cs file and remove that method, you
should be able to get past it.  Magma doesn't need it.  Sorry about that.

> Also, in comparing size between Magma and SMS, I wonder how much could be
> trimmed out of a Magma install if all one needed was local work, no server
> or TCP/IP client

Magma's code is pretty dense, I think it'd be pretty difficult to refactor the
code much smaller than it already is.  For local, you need all of the server
functionality in the image.  That's because the server code is concerned with
processing client requests, maintaining the object memory, updating indexes,
etc.  It doesn't do anything related to network communications.  All the
network code is in the MaClientServerSupport changeset which, as you can see,
isn't too big.

> I've honestly not had the time to work towards my new layer on top of Magma
or SMS...

That's good because I plan to submit a new version of Magma in the next couple
of weeks that will include performance improvements, garbage collection and
other enhancements and utilities.  Because it will utilize and entirely new oid
map, existing Magma databases will not be able to be used under the new code
unless the oids are converted.

Regards,
  Chris