Need an efficient large weak identity key dictionary

Scott A Crosby scrosby at cs.rice.edu
Tue Aug 27 00:24:31 UTC 2002

On Sun, 11 Aug 2002 16:30:54 +0200, "Andreas Raab" <Andreas.Raab at gmx.de> writes:

> polymorphic keys this may help quite a bit to overcome the current
> limitations of the 12 bit hashes.

To quote:

> > WeakIdentityKeyDictionary.  A small test that adds 10000 items to
> > the dictionary went from 150 seconds to just 5.5 seconds on my
> > machine after making that change.

Generally, 12 bits is 'OK' for up to, say, 4000-40000 objects. the
issue is those bits being completely wasted. For example, in this
case. Or in similar cases I reported, oh, about 9 months ago, and
submitted a changeset about 6 months ago.

True, in this example, using polymorphity of the keys is worth a few
extra bits (scaling us up to say, 1m objects), but if its the design
has flaws, fix the flaws first, then see if it needs enhancement.

Scott