Squeak chugging by on the Zaurus SL-5500

Tommy Thorn thorn at meko.dk
Mon Aug 26 21:31:35 UTC 2002

Brian Keefer wrote:

>I finally got an IPAQ binary wedged into my Zaurus. It creaks along at a
>stately pace of 180k sends/s, and overloads my 127.* network.

Those are wierd performance numbers.  My native Zaurus SqueakVM atop the
framebuffer gets
12_326_656 bc/s   413_533 ms/s, whereas Aaron has reported  4_739_336
bc/s  386_492 ms/s on an iPaq under PocketPC.

A better benchmark would undoubtably be the one Ian suggested:

    Smalltalk garbageCollect.
    Time millisecondsToRun:
        [((CCodeGenerator new initialize
            addClass: Interpreter;
            prepareMethods;
            doInlining: true)
                cCodeForMethod: #interpret)]

I'll try collecting numbers on my VM on Zaurus to compare.

Cheers,

  Tommy