Multiple VMs

Stephen Pair spair at acm.org
Thu Aug 29 13:52:40 UTC 2002

This is just a random thought that just occurred to me...

One thing that would be nice to have is support for multiple
interpreters in the image, with the VM building tools, and even the
platform compilation environments.

Generally speaking, when modifying the interpreter, I first copy
ObjectMemory and all of it's subclasses (not the best reuse, but there's
often no clear way to subclass the existing hierarchy).

It would be nice if VMMaker allowed you to select an interpreter class
to generate, and then generated it to a file named something other than
interp.c (like interp-mynewvm.c).  Then it would be great if the make
tools could see that and build one executable vm for each interpreter
source file it sees...it could named them like the interp source file
(like "squeak-mynewvm" in this example).  If the build tools see
multiple interp source files, a vm will be created for each one.

Just a thought.

- Stephen