[ENH] pvt selector handling (was: Re: Design Patterns and Collection Classes)

Helge Horch Helge.Horch at t-online.de
Fri Aug 30 13:09:38 UTC 2002

On 30.08.2002, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:
>I guess if I propose a change to existing things I'll be howled down again,
>but it _would_ be nice if the compiler accepted
>	(<self | super> <new | new:...>) pvtMessage...
>in a class.

Well, *I* think it's a reasonable request.  The #pvtXXX support is in
the image anyway, this submission enhances it (I think), and it comes
down to a choice of style you choose to code in.  As long as you
don't request the system to be rewritten, or that #perform: and
friends should also check it... ;-)

So, herewith is LessPvt.3.cs, this time with a preamble (but still no
checking for "Am I compiling in a metaclass context?" -- do we really
need that safety net?):

---snip---
Widens the Compiler's special handling of #pvtXXX selectors, to allow
the following usage patterns in class methods:

self new pvtXXX
(self new: n) pvtXXX
super new pvtXXX
(super new: n) pvtXXX

Previously, the Compiler allowed #pvtXXX method sends in instance methods only.
---snip---

Flame away :-)

Cheers,
Helge