String>>hash performance

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Fri Aug 30 17:26:20 UTC 2002

"Richard A. O'Keefe" <ok at cs.otago.ac.nz> is claimed by the authorities to have written:

> How do I know the C code was doing the same thing as the Squeak hash code?
[snip]
> What have I misunderstood?
First likely possibility is that your copy of MiscPlugin doesn't have
the prim - do you have an absolutely up to date vm?

Easy check - comment out the <prim.....> line, recompile and check
times again.

You could of course use VMMakerTool (see instructions on the swiki) to
regenerate the MiscPrimitivePlugin and check the C code to see what is
going on. Time is also spent on the fetching and saving of results to
the stack and it might possibly swamp the time to do the hash work.
Shouldn't, but I've seen sillier situations.

tim
Strange OpCodes: IA: Illogical And