Newbie questions: Changesets, changes and the image

Boris Gaertner Boris.Gaertner at gmx.net
Sun Dec 1 07:02:03 UTC 2002

Derek Brans <brans at nerdonawire.com> wrote:

> Here is a bunch of random changeset questions.
> What is a change sorter?  What is a change?
For a first reading, please have a look at
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2145
>From that page you can download a five-page pdf
document that explains the use of change sorters.

> can a mouse movement be a  change?
No.

> What about a do-it?
Some do-its are recorded in a change set, but most are not.
(When sent to a class, the  method  initialize is typically
recorded in a change set. This is a quite magic point, if
you ask me.)

> When an object is created, is that a change?
It is a change, but not one that is recorded in a change
set. When you define a new class, or modify the definition
of an existing class (e.g. by adding or removing instance variables)
this is a change that is recorded in a change set.

> Can the entire state of an image be defined in a changeset?
The entire state of an image is defined in the image and nowhere
else.

There were further questions in your mail, but for now I have
quick answers only to the questions answered above.

Greetings, Boris