stepping Morphs

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Sun Dec 1 15:56:14 UTC 2002

On Sunday 01 December 2002 07:18 am, Chris Burkert wrote:
> Hello List
>
> I'm playing with stepping Morphs and want to build something like a
> Clock but moving faster. One line should go around in about 5
> seconds. So I took the WatchMorph. I changed it that it steps 360
> times for one circle. So it has about 14 milliseconds for one step.
> Everytime I send a #step it does a #changed. Then I realized that
> it's too slow at all. It takes about half a second to draw the
> (whole) Morph. The Morph extents about 250 at 250. How can I get it
> faster ?

By not redrawing the whole thing. And making sure that you aren't
redrawing a big chunk of your screen. And turn off antialiasing.

Does it redraw faster when you put it in the upper left hand corner of
your screen?

Make sure that you don't get multiple redraws, as well.

Try turning on the debugShowDamage preference and make sure that you
aren't invalidating an area at the upper left hand corner of your
screen, and that you're limiting your damage to the area of your
Morph.

If the above doesn't help, consider making the moving part as small as
possible and stepping it instead of the big thing. After all, you
don't have to invalidate the whole item. You can avoid the drawing of
the rectangle this way.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com