[BUG] SqueakMap Package Loader

Nick Brown maillist at bredon-gill.demon.co.uk
Sun Dec 1 17:03:58 UTC 2002

Hi everyone.

I finally got round to updating to 3.4 and trying out SqueakMap from
within Squeak. However, I'm behind an http proxy, and it looks like
I'm running into exactly the same problem as Alejandro Magistrello
reported a while back.

I'm running the latest version of 3.4a, with the latest win32 VM, I've
double checked that Squeak is set up to use the proxy, and that access
to port 8000 is ok.

(1)	From the world menu, I choose Open>>Package Loader. An error
message tells me that no servers are responding. I modify
TheWorldMenu(class)>>loadSqueakMap to bypass the check using the
NetNameResolver (as detailed on minnow), and try again.

(2)	SqueakMap now loads, reports that no servers are available,
and produces a DNU because of trying to load a package (presumably the
SMLoader) with an empty map.

(3)	I comment out the first few lines of SMSqueakMap>>pingServer:
and SMSqueakMap(class)>>pingServer:, again to bypass the
NetNameResolver check. (as detailed in a posting by Göran on the list

(4)	Now I guess I need to try to download a map. I do the
following in a workspace...

SMSqueakMap allInstances first loadFull

and I get a second log file in the sm subdirectory, of about 125K, so
I think this has succeeded.

(5)	Next I opened a changesorter, and looked at the postscript for
squeakmap-1_04, and selected the line...

Cursor wait showWhile: [SMSqueakMap default loadUpdates
installPackageWithId: ...etc

and after a DoIt, the Package Loader appeared on screen. From here on,
everything has worked ok, and I have been able to download and install
packages fine.

Rather than doing all of this, if I download squeakmap as a .cs.gz
from the squeakmap website and file it in, it takes me straight to
step 2, and the procedure from there on is the same.

So it looks to me as if everything basically works - it's just that
SqueakMap sometimes thinks that things aren't going to work and so
doesn't try. Perhaps as a very simple solution, whenever SqueakMap
complains that it can't find any servers, we should just have an
option which says "I'm behind a proxy - try it anyway".

I follow this list closely, and I'll be happy to try out any solutions
or go into more detail about the problems in order to help get this
fixed.

Regards,
Nick Brown