"Pattern Hatching"

Karl Goiser kgoiser at bigpond.net.au
Mon Dec 2 03:13:12 UTC 2002

Hi Marcel et al,

It is interesting that you should write about patterns in this way.

I was reading some 'propaganda' about Lisp some time ago on Paul
Graham's web site and the following quote really made me sit up and
take notice:
"When I see patterns in my programs, I consider it a sign of trouble.
The shape of a program should reflect only the problem it needs to
solve. Any other regularity in the code is a sign, to me at least, that
I'm using abstractions that aren't powerful enough-- often that I'm
generating by hand the expansions of some macro that I need to write."

(The whole article can be found at:
http://store.yahoo.com/paulgraham/icad.html)

This is very similar to the way you describe it and I can't help but
come to the conclusion that "patterns" is taking programming down the
wrong path!

Regards,

Karl