Connectors-based labels question

David Faught dave_faught at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 2 19:33:16 UTC 2002

I am still playing with a Connectors-based network modeling tool and
have another question.  I have subclassed NCConnectorMorph and added in
a few instance variables like bandwidth and length (in miles) to base
the calculations of a network circuit on.  Although I have hooked these
things up so I can change them through the Viewer, I would like to make
up a few standard settings, like 56 kbps, 128 kbps, 1544 kbps, etc. and
make those available directly without needing to use the Viewer.

I have been using Maker buttons on a button bar to create the Morphs up
to this point, and I can manually make these types and create more
maker buttons for them.  The problem is that they all look the same on
the button bar and when they are instantiated, for that matter.  Is
there a way to create a label for something on the button bar, or a way
to have a morph carry its attached SmartLabel with it when its dropped
on a Maker button?

I also have not figured out yet how to update the text of a label, '56
kbps' for example, when the bandwidth is changed.

By the way, I really liked the presentation that was contained in the
old project-based Connectors, and wish I would have seen it earlier
than I did in my development process.  Is there some way you could
carry this forward with the more recent changesets, and still keep it
separate and deletable?