Speed, Mac and VM

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Mon Dec 2 20:05:02 UTC 2002

I'll note Ian has been working on a port of the VM code to Cocoa. The
cocoa part is just the UI part of the Unix port, a bit of plug and play.

Once he releases it we'll refine it a bit, IE I doubt he even considers
mac alias file/folder resolving as an issue that the unix folks are
concerned about.

That most likely will become the basis of the os-x squeak port, just
another variant of unix, with some really odd bits.

On Monday, December 2, 2002, at 04:27  AM, Marcel Weiher wrote:

> On Monday, December 2, 2002, at 10:15  Uhr, jean-marie.zajac wrote:
>

>> On MacOsX, VM Squeak 3.4.0Beta2 (carbon)  slightly more rapid than
>> CocoaSqueak but for a class than I have written which use essentially
>>  FTPsocket, in contrast Cocoa execute the methods with a speed six
>> fold greater. Furthermore, this speed is the same that tan observed
>> with on a  PC (Squeak-GL VM). Thus carbon squeak is very slow with
>> ftp primitives.
>> The execution of the primitives could be so different from a VM to
>> another ?
>
> CocoaSqueak uses the Unix/BSD APIs for all its low-level file and
> network I/O (the code is taken directly from Ian's Unix VM).
>
> The Carbon VM uses Carbon calls (this looks obvious, but it could
> actually use BSD calls just as well), probably based on OpenTransport,
> part of the old toolbox APIs and nowadays layered on top of the Unix
> core.
>
> So the two have almost completely different execution paths for this
> functionality.  John and I talked about unifying the VM a while back,
> but so far haven't really achieved a lot..
>
> Marcel
>
> --
> Marcel Weiher				Metaobject Software Technologies
> marcel at metaobject.com		www.metaobject.com
> Metaprogramming for the Graphic Arts.   HOM, IDEAs, MetaAd etc.

===