Speed, Mac and VM

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Mon Dec 2 21:03:17 UTC 2002

On Monday, December 2, 2002, at 12:08  PM, Marcel Weiher wrote:

> On Monday, December 2, 2002, at 09:05  Uhr, John M McIntosh wrote:
>
>> I'll note Ian has been working on a port of the VM code to Cocoa.
>
> Why??

I can't speak for Ian on this one.

>> The cocoa part is just the UI part of the Unix port, a bit of plug
>> and play.
>
> Yes, thar's exactly the way it is now.
>
>> That most likely will become the basis of the os-x squeak port, just
>> another variant of unix, with some really odd bits.
>
> Why?

Please note the the statement about 'most likely'

Ian's port will go into the unix tree, so we can't avoid it, it has the
feature of being the second cocoa port so it might be better, but
I've not seen the code yet.

For one it avoid the issues in SqViewBitmapConversion.m because it uses
the Squeak native byte format for the colorspace when creating the
window. Then again it might forgo all the nice Cocoa feature set since
it might not be a 'true' cocoa application, we might have to pick and
choose here to build a better VM based on his work and your work, that
could be more likely, but again I've not see Ian's implementation yet.
I know of course things like sound, drag/drop, aliases aren't in the
unix port.

In any case the issue really is the macintosh os-x port needs to change
to something, because of wants to move to native BSD socket support,
better midi support etc. I'd rather not roll those into the existing
mac code base, rather convert to a Cocoa based implementation, what
sucks is the issue that the existing classic mac VM can't go away
because it supports os-7.5.5-9.x users. Then again maybe I need to look
at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gusi/ and the unix posix support in
CodeWarrior and consider migrating the unix tree again.

===