Speed, Mac and VM

Marcel Weiher marcel at metaobject.com
Mon Dec 2 21:19:27 UTC 2002

On Monday, December 2, 2002, at 10:03  Uhr, John M McIntosh wrote:

> For one it avoid the issues in SqViewBitmapConversion.m because it
> uses the Squeak native byte format for the colorspace when creating
> the window.

This code isn't in use any longer, I draw using CoreGraphics and native
bitmap format.  No conversions.

[..]

> In any case the issue really is the macintosh os-x port needs to
> change to something, because of wants to move to native BSD socket
> support, better midi support etc.

The current Cocoa VM already uses the Unix code base for most of the
low level stuff (where possible).

>  I'd rather not roll those into the existing mac code base, rather
> convert to a Cocoa based implementation,

Well, the source-code is here and I'll be glad to help you.

>  what sucks is the issue that the existing classic mac VM can't go
> away because it supports os-7.5.5-9.x users.

Yup.

Marcel

--
Marcel Weiher				Metaobject Software Technologies
marcel at metaobject.com		www.metaobject.com