[ANN] SqueakMap 1.05

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Wed Dec 4 12:26:44 UTC 2002

Nick Brown <maillist at bredon-gill.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi G=F6ran.
>
> I've been trying to load the new version of SqueakMap from behind a
> proxy as before. I realise that you don't claim to have fixed all the
> proxy-related problems with this release, but, just for the record
> I'll give you the complete run down....

This is very good. I am grateful for your precise description.

> 1.	Obviously the new version of SM does nothing to change the
> bootstrap code in TheWorldMenu, so this still needs to be modified by
> hand.

Yeah. Since I didn't really decide what we need to do (if you follow the
SqF-list I am trying to convince people of accepting a FIX from Lex
Spoon which would more or less take care of these problems) we haven't
touched it yet.

> 2.	After being asked whether I want to load SqueakMap or not,
> another menu appears, basically saying:
> "map1.squeakfoundation.org can not be resolved in DNS.
> This may be because you are behind a proxy and then you can safely
> proceed. Proceed?"

Then it simply tries with a httpGet "ping" and obviously fails. This is
good.
If you are *not* behind a proxy this actually hangs! (Which is the
reason for the NetNameResolver guard code).

> 3.	Answering yes to this, and after a short while I get the same
> message again, this time for map2.squeakfoundation.org. Answering yes
> to this, and SqueakMap starts to load. Excellent!

So far so good. :-)

> 4.	I now get a message:
> "Squeakmap 1.05 has been installed. Will now continue with installing
> blablabla. First the map will be updated."
>
> 5.	After I OK this, I get a pink error window, titled:=20
> "Error: All SqueakMap master servers are down:
> 'map1.squeakfoundation.org' 'map2.squeakfoundation.org'
> 'map.squeak.org' etc etc". See attached "serversdown.log" - which is
> just a "squeakdebug.log" renamed.

Ah, right. This is because I haven't yet added the same "Proceed?" thing
to #pingServer:.
Since the NetNameResolver check will fail because of the proxy
pingServer will think all servers are down.

When thinking more about this it would be better if I simply checked if
you are behind a proxy and then just skip the NetNameResolver check.
That would solve it all.

> 6.	Clicking on 'Proceed' gets me a further error window, "Message
> not understood: downloadFileName". See attached
> "downloadfilename.log".=20
>
> This I think is the same "attempting to load a package with an empty
> map" problem as I had before. As before, forcing SqueakMap to download

Right. Poor error checking in that script.

> the map and then loading the speficied packages by hand works. Also
> allowing SqueakMap to find and use the map that was download a few
> days ago by the old version also works.
>
> So in conclusion there is definetly some progress here. With the old
> version I would have hit a problem at steps 2-3, but this now works
> fine. Could similar modifications be made to the bootstrap code in
> TheWorldMenu, and pushed into the update stream before 3.4 goes final?
>
> Lastly, there is still the problem at step 5, (and step 6 is a symptom
> of this, of course). I'm sure I'm telling you a lot that you already
> know, but hopefully its of some use to you.

No, it's good to read a precise description to think clearly. :-)
Thanks.

I will just have to find out how to detect the proxy and fix that.
And also fix the code in the WorldMenu. Give me a day or two.

> Regards,
> Nick Brown

Regards, Göran