[WinCE] Release candidate VM for PocketPC (iPAQ)

Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Thu Dec 5 06:55:18 UTC 2002

  Hello,

  I finally have got enough traction:-) to revise the VM for PocketPC.
The most notable feature of the new VM is that the ability to set the
heap size and the external backing store memory size upon startup.

  While the VM works fine for me on iPAQ 3955 (PocketPC 2002), I can't
test the VM on the other flavor of iPAQs.  If you have some other
iPAQ, please test the VM on yours and let me know how it goes.

  Also, if you have suggestions on the memory setting screen layout
and the english, please let me know.

  The "release candidate" VM is at:

http://www.is.titech.ac.jp/~ohshima/tmp/SqueakWithMemorySlider.zip

  I found the display update gets slower on 3955 than 36xx.  This may
be because the LCD is different, but may be my note is wrong.  So,
please test the following tests and let me know the number.

  Before the test, set the screen to full screen mode and display
depth to 16.

--- test1 ---
| rect |
rect _ (0 at 0 extent: 224 at 224).
Smalltalk garbageCollect.
^ [1 to: 200 do: [:i |
	Display forceToScreen: rect.
]] timeToRun
-------------
--- test2 ---
| f g |
f _ Form extent: 224 at 224 depth: 16.
g _ Form extent: 224 at 224 depth: 16.
Smalltalk garbageCollect.
[200 timesRepeat: [f displayOn: g at: 0 at 0 rule: Form over]] timeToRun.

  Or, to make the test environment identical, you can download

http://www.is.titech.ac.jp/~ohshima/tmp/ScreenUpdate.zip

and try the above test in the workspace.

  Enjoy and Thank you,

-- Yoshiki