Another SAR/DVS feature request

Stephen Pair spair at acm.org
Thu Dec 5 19:23:07 UTC 2002

The only part of the path that the zip cares about is that which comes
after it.  Therefore you only need to be smart about the type of
accessor that gets created as you walk the path.  Once you hit the zip
file name, you would create some sort of zip accessor that would get
handed the remaining portion of the path.  The file: variant would work
just fine and be more consistent with normal file URIs.  Plus, it would
work for http URIs, ftp URIs, etc.  The protocol aspect of the URI
really needs to only be concerned with the communications protocol, not
with how a certain component of the path is interpreted.

So, in the same way that you would write:

file:///path/to/some.zip/memberName ; you could also write:
http://www.squeak.org/path/to/some.zip/memberName

And it would work (providing that the http server has a similar zip
accessor capability).

- Stephen