Metaclassing

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Dec 5 21:17:06 UTC 2002

Hi Guys,

Has anyone ever tried to provide "Metaclass behavior" by some other
class than Metaclass itself?! I have the need for something that is
"similar to but not quite the same" as Metaclass' behavior (what I am
effectively trying to do is to build a clean representation of Uniclass
behavior as in eToys which may require instance ... err ... class ...
err ... meta ... oh what the heck, STATE).

What I am looking for is some primer on how to replace/subclass
Metaclass (it drives me nuts just thinking about the fact that a
subclass of Metaclass would also be an instance of Metaclass....) and/or
any experiences in doing this. In particular little bits like "don't
forget to XYZ or else the system will break" would be helpful ;-)

Cheers,
  - Andreas