Croquet alpha release(s?)

Gary Fisher gafisher at sprynet.com
Fri Dec 6 19:42:08 UTC 2002

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: David A. Smith
  To: squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
  Sent: Wednesday, December 04, 2002 11:29 PM
  Subject: Re: Croquet alpha release(s?)

  The "gamma" label is my fault. I forgot the order (though I guess it is
  pretty obvious). The official label of the current version is "pre-alpha".

  I have never seen game design done this way. Speed comes from architecture.
  Anyone that tries to build a fast system and then fit an architecture to it
  will never ship a game.

  DAS

Croquet's not a game, though, so the process might go differently . . .

(From www.opencroquet.org/summary.html)

"Croquet was built to answer a simple question. If we were to create a new operating system and user interface knowing what we know today, how far could we go. What kinds of decisions would we make that we might have been unable to even consider 20 or 30 years ago, when the current set of operating systems were first created."