[ANN] IvapParser (on SqueakMap)

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Fri Dec 6 20:11:25 UTC 2002

On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, Stephen Pair wrote:

> >  - IVAP modifies Parser and Compiler; to mirror Daniel and
> > Andreas' argument, why not use #compilerClass and a subclass?
>
> Because I felt that there is no reason to have a separate parser and
> compiler to support this small feature.  Subclasses should do bigger
> things than this (IMO) and I can't see why the standard parser/compiler
> shouldn't support it.

To me it's more a modularity issue - if these changes are adopted as part
of the base compiler, great.  Otherwise, they shouldn't be modifying
Parser's methods if they can easily avoid doing so; it'll just cause
maintenance problems down the road.  We can disagree on this, but I'm not
going to have Seaside depend on modifications to system methods unless I
absolutely have to.