[SM] SMCard subCategories

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Dec 6 12:37:29 UTC 2002

Bijan Parsia <bparsia at email.unc.edu> wrote:

> I started doing a few of these things but then realized that I had No Good
> Place To Put Them. I could, of course, do the old go out and find the
> right web page, contact someone, send [BUG]s and [FIX]s and set up a Swiki
> page...ugh. No! I'm feeling lazy. I want *SqueakMap* to do this for me.
> SqueakMap is *magic*...it can fix *anything*.

This is one thing a bug database is good for.  One of the things I
really enjoy about Debian is that each package gets its own bug tracking
area.  Each bug has an email thread associated with it, and each bug has
a status (open, fixed, re-assigned to another package, ...), and each
bug has various flags such as enhancement vs. wishlist, patch included,
etc.  Go browse around bug.debian.org to see what it looks like.

We could possibly use the Debian bug tracker with no changes whatsoever.
 We could probably just set up our own archive on squeakfoundation.org
somewhere.

The alternative of simulating a bug database using subcategories sounds
pretty hackish, when one consideres that there is a very functional and
well thought-out solution that shouldn't need any special tweaking to
get started.  Down the road, we might want to add a Squeak-based
interface to the database, but WWW and email should be okay for getting
started.

Now, if someone knows a better bug database, that is fine as well.  For
example, maybe we could swipe the SourceForge database.  But I'm pretty
sure the Debian one would be a drop-in solution for what we need.

-Lex