[ANN] StarBrowser v4 on SqueakMap

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Sat Dec 7 18:32:49 UTC 2002

Aha, I just started using it as workspace for a small tool I'm playing
with. My tool turns a tree into a list in a specific way, and I put an
expression running the tool on a global holding a specific interesting
dataset, and as I change the code, I can update the results very easily.
It's cool.

Might want to make those things step, though it might be a bit dangerous
for slow expressions.... worth thinking about.

A few other small things -
 - yellow clicking on the icons in the hier view causes effects with
surprising scope.
 - Now that I think about it, why do the Add.. entries appear in the
SysWin menu, and not in the context menu for the extensional
classifications?

Another thing I like about the SB is the prominent explore/inspect
items, making it very easy to go into things and understanding what the
representation is doing. Used this to understand what I was see in the
XML view, for example.

[accepting patches]
Sorry Ned, I'll stay a user on this one, at least at the moment, but a
happy user is something, right? ;-)

BTW, I completely agree on the names, Stef's suggested names are simple
and direct. In/Extensional is a good name for writing papers, bad for a
tool for the people :-)

Daniel

Ned Konz <ned at bike-nomad.com> wrote:
> > * Get a walkback when I bring up a menu on the items in the
> > "configure services" window.
> I can't duplicate that. Can you give me a stack trace?
Sorry, I was missing information. Open "configure services", without
selecting any items, press yellow button. If you can't duplicate, I will
send a stack.

> > * Didn't understand what I'm supposed to do in configure services
> > and in the edit expressions windows. Balloon help maybe, with a
> > url?
>
> It's a useful place to browse and change those classes while under
> development.
>
> The most useful part, though, is the "become default" choice in the
> individual services context menu.
>
> Try it on ItemExtendedChildren (under "children").
> What this is: for services other than "button" and "menu" (which are
> additive) we have a single default service that's used. So
> ItemExtendedChildren is like ItemChildren, except that it answers
> message categories as children of classes.
Aha... look at the pretty lights... it's beautiful.

Ok, so how about this?

ItemLabel>>doXMLNode: aNodeWrapper
	| wholeName |
	wholeName _ aNodeWrapper node printString.
	^wholeName size > 100 ifTrue: [aNodeWrapper node name] ifFalse:
[wholeName]

I like it, though it might make things slower.

Daniel