Changing Display size&depth on Mac

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Tue Dec 10 16:41:02 UTC 2002

I've been trying to change the size of Squeak's window from inside Squeak:

	DisplayScreen depth: 8 width: 1024 height: 768 fullscreen: false

does not change the size, but *does* change the depth. This seems quite the opposite to what is suggested by:
--------------------------
int ioSetDisplayMode(int width, int height, int depth, int fullscreenFlag) {
	/* Set the window to the given width, height, and color depth. Put the window
	   into the full screen mode specified by fullscreenFlag. */
	/* Note: Changing display depth is not yet, and may never be, implemented
	   on the Macintosh, where (a) it is considered inappropriate and (b) it may
	   not even be a well-defined operation if the Squeak window spans several
	   displays (which display''s depth should be changed?). */

	depth;
#ifndef IHAVENOHEAD
	ioSetFullScreen(fullscreenFlag);
	if (!fullscreenFlag) {
		SizeWindow(stWindow, width, height, true);
	}
#endif
}

Additionally, if I change the width to some other number, I get a primitive failure.

Tested with 3.2 image/3.2.8VM and 3.4 image/3.4.0VM.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Bob