Changing Display size&depth on Mac

Karl Ramberg karl.ramberg at chello.se
Tue Dec 10 21:49:03 UTC 2002

Bob Arning wrote:

> John,
>
> >reads the same.  How old is the source that you are using?
>
> The source I was looking at is the source in the 3.2 image. I haven't gotten the hang of browsing sourceforge.
>
> >Mmm others are welcome to try. Mind if you switch from 1024x768 to
> >640x480 then the finder repositions icons
> >on the desktop (ugly feature) that trashs those carefully position
> >desktop alias files.
>
> Is this changing the Mac's screen resolution or Squeak's window size? It would seem to be the former, while existing comments imply the latter. Which is right?

I tested on my 8.6 system and it works flawless.

DisplayScreen depth: 16 width: 640 height: 480 fullscreen: false.

I get a primitive failure if I say

DisplayScreen depth: 32 width: 1024 height: 768 fullscreen: false.
because the computer only supports 16 bits at that resolution.
I guess trying anything other than what the computer supports will
cause a prim failure.
As for:

DisplayScreen depth: 16 width: 1023 height: 768 fullscreen: false.

If I set fullscreen to true I get the fullscreen, otherwise in a
smaller than screen size window.
(Which by the way is obscured by the finder menu bar!)

Karl