Which plugins?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Dec 11 02:36:08 UTC 2002

Hi PhiHo,

I don't consider any of the disadvantages you mention to be really that
important. The major problematic points I see are:

* Setup issues. Can MobVM *always* figure out what the "right" way to
access stuff on the web is?! Regardless of platform, browser setup etc?!
What about fire walls, proxies and all of the other "niceties" of a
modern computer setup?!

* No "offline access". If you haven't accessed a specific plugin while
you were online you won't get it. Your ISP just had a power outage?! Uh,
oh...

* The possibility of "dll hell". Even today we have problems with what
(external) plugin exactly is used under which conditions. This problem
grows exponentially with the number of plugins you have to worry about.

* The possibility of versioning conflicts (does MobVM actually have any
versioniong?!), both in the terms of "what plugin belongs to what VM
version" as well as "what plugin does require a specific other plugin
version".

The key reason why I am concerned about the above is that no newbie will
be able to understand "what went wrong" if any of the above cause a
problem. And not even you may... I had this problem recently with a few
people where "Squeak crashed" and after a while we found that there were
lingering plugins from some old Squeak installation being used...

I think that the "impossibility to get anything wrong" clearly outweighs
the (perceived or real) disadvantages of the "classic everything
builtin" VM. That's a personal opinion of course.

Cheers,
  - Andreas