Template mechanisms...

Stephen Pair spair at acm.org
Thu Dec 12 01:50:55 UTC 2002

Having used SSP extensively in Swiki.net and having looked at Seaside, I
think I can offer some insight:

My sense is that both approaches are equivalent if you raise your level
of abstraction such that you are thinking in terms of "widgets" and not
HTML or an HTML DOM.

For example, I have a widget called RolloverButton (which has a mouse
rollover effect).  That rollover button can just as easily general html
indirectly using a DOM approach, or more directly with an SSP approach.
The important thing is that you have a RolloverButton and use it (and
other widgets) instead of directly dealing with HTML or an HTML DOM to
construct your UIs.

If I could do it all over again, I would probably go the DOM route.  If
I constuct the HTML indirectly through a DOM, then I could conceivably
generate other languages (not just HTML) out of that DOM.  On the other
hand, it might be almost as easy to have the widget directly render the
different languages.

- Stephen