Template mechanisms...

tblanchard at mac.com tblanchard at mac.com
Thu Dec 12 15:40:29 UTC 2002

On Thursday, December 12, 2002, at 04:05  AM, Avi Bryant wrote:

> The other side of this is that there's no reason not to have a very
> rough
> template with holes for the widgets - if your designer wants to give
> you
> something that's basically a header and a footer, with a few slots
> saying
> "put foo form here" and "put bar button there", I think that's fairly
> appropiate.

Yeah - this is how (properly done) WebObjects apps are done.  Most page
templates provide layout and framing, while all the active/dynamic
stuff is individual components.  I rather like it because I'm
distrustful of the disconnect between the way widgets predict layout
will happen vs the way the html will do it.  html "layout" is typically
done with tables, its fairly simple and rearranging stuff is easy to
tweak in the text file.

I'm beginning to play with the pure component based approach though - I
haven't decided if I like it or not yet.