Template mechanisms...

tblanchard at mac.com tblanchard at mac.com
Thu Dec 12 15:50:51 UTC 2002

On Thursday, December 12, 2002, at 04:35  AM, Stephen Pair wrote:

> Actually, it would be interesting to adopt an approach very similar to
> Morphic for constructing web widgets (I'm thinking mostly in terms of
> the compositional patterns found in Morphic...specifically how morphs
> have a list of submorphs that are iterated when drawing).  If you also
> enable the web widgets to render themselves as morphs, then you could
> use Morphic to assemple your web GUIs...I've also thought that you
> could
> use some of the dynamic features of the web browsers and build a web UI
> editor in the web browser itself (but I think it would be easier and
> better to do it in Morphic).

Yeah - but the tricky bit is in matching the html layout model - which
has a certain kind of flow that can be "channeled" into shapes via
things like tables and lists.  Its not at all like a canvas - more like
a stream.  In most of the visual web design tools I've seen, they
present the user with a canvas and then try to emulate it using lots
and lots of nested tables.  This tends to produce pages that render
really slowly.

I'm not too knowledgeable about morphic (wish I knew more) but I didn't
see anything that acted like a flow/html layout kind of thing.

Maybe someone can enlighten me on an appropriate container that will
layout out things like an html page?