Which plugins?

PhiHo Hoang phiho.hoang at rogers.com
Thu Dec 12 18:10:27 UTC 2002

Hi Tim,

> >     As I see it, the disadvantage in using MobVM are:
> You left out  a pretty important one (at least, as of last time I
> looked at the code) which is that you depend pretty heavily
> on Windows functionality.

    I would count that as an advantage ;-)

    After all, these parts of the codes are platform specific.

    So, with your pernission :-) :

    "Advantages in using MobVM are:

        blah blah blah

        ...Windows functionality is beautifully leveraged...  ;-)
        ... "

    Seriously, I don't think that's much of a problem for other
    platforms to provide the functionality to access ini file
    like under Windows. They can use properties file instead.

    Then, again, ini file has been used in Squeak since the
    dinosaurs still wandering around ;-)

    That's said, I vaguely recall, there is even a cross platform
    lib to handle ini file.

> I'm sure the concept could be applied cross platform
> (well as long as the target can actually handle dynamic loading at all)

    I guess Unix, Mac and WinCE do support that.
    Does Acorn support dynamic loading ?
    (and any other platforms that currently have
    Squeak port and do not support dynamic loading  ?)

> IIRC there are a lot of places where the code is manualy
> hacked about that would need cleaning up.

    Your help is very much appreciated.

    Also, I found that the macro 'XNAME' is very convenient,
    please consider to restore it and use it consistently
    in all plugins so that one can choose either to work
    with fully qualified exported names or not.

    Should macros to access the interpreter proxy be placed
    in a common header file ?

    BTW, how is the DisplayPlugin you mentioned before,
    should I change MobVM WindowPlugin to DisplayPlugin ?

    It's more generic and neutral. Squeak doesn't have to
    display to a window, remember, we are in the
    Morphic world :-)

    Besides, WindowPlugin maybe confusing, making people
    think that plugin will provide Windows functionality ;-)

    Cheers,

    PhiHo.