Funding

Joshua 'Schwa' Gargus schwa at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Dec 12 21:44:35 UTC 2002

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 03:52:19PM -0500, Anthony Hannan wrote:
> Should I apply for a PhD?  You usually get funding as a PhD student,
> right?  Will most schools foster/fund Squeak work?

Georgia Tech is Squeak-friendly.  Much of Mark Guzdial's research over
the past years has involved Squeak.  Although Mark would probably be
more interested in building applications on your system than in its
architecture, he may be able to write a recommendation to professors
who might be interested in your ideas.  Perhaps Alan could as well?

The professor I currently work with is language-agnostic, as long as
it doesn't interfere with my research (eg: ability to link with other
people's non-Squeak code).  I don't know if this is the most common
attitude, but it is by no means rare.

There are several professors who focus on security who would likely be
interested in your ideas.  I can send you their email addresses; tell
them basically what you just told us, except expand on your end goal
and the milestones you see to get there.

With a bit of luck, and good recommendations, I would not be surprised
if the application deadline could not be adjusted slightly.

Good luck,
Joshua