Funding

Dan Ingalls Dan at SqueakLand.org
Fri Dec 13 04:11:04 UTC 2002

>So now I find myself out of money, and not done with what I wanted to
>get done with my "Squeak sabatical".  But I don't want to give up my
>SqueakWeb dream.

Good man.  Don't give up ANY of your dreams.

>Should I apply for grants?  Do people know any they could recommend.  Is
>it possible to get a grant without having a PhD nor an association with
>a unversity or research institution.  I only have a Masters.
>
>Should I apply for a PhD?  You usually get funding as a PhD student,
>right?  Will most schools foster/fund Squeak work?  Unfortunately, its
>past the deadline for most schools, I will need funding before
>Jan/September 2004.

If it would help at all, I will write you a recommendation.  It's true that I haven't met you and haven't been through all the details of your work, but I have watched you direct yourself, learning the best direction along the way, and I know what's involved to do that all by oneself.  I've become an official grey-beard, by the mere passage of time if nothing else, so it might carry some weight.

>Should I look for venture capital investors?  Unfortunately, this would
>require making my work proprietary which would go against the
>world-wide-web concept.
>
>How is everyone else on this list being funded?

I've been making a small amount off my weather stations but, like you, I really want to get back and focus on the big problems.

>I don't want to have to give up and work on another system, not even
>another Smalltalk.  Squeak is the future in my eyes and working on
>anything else is a waste of time.

You go, guy!

>Any suggestions?  Anyone out there who would be willing to fund me?  I
>would work for minimum wage to work on Squeak.  My projects/resume is on
>my website on the swiki at
>http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/AnthonyHannan.

I'll chip in if you really stick with this "spare change" approach.  But my opinion is it's not going to liberate you.

It might be worth writing a specific message to Ian about this.  He knows what you're capable of and I think he has some sway in university programs.  From my selfish point of view, we NEED someone connected to Ian and devoted to finishing projects.  Let me know if you would like this suggestion to come from me.

Good luck, dude

	- Dan