TrueType based TextStyle

Phil Hargett hargettp at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 13 12:19:51 UTC 2002

I do think you are correct, a more generic (and lower-level solution)
would be more appropriate--and in the locations you've identified.
Presently, I do not yet have the skills to make such a change, as the
mysteries of how Squeak renders to the screen (especially how Morphic
renders to the screen on top of all the BitBlt / Display stuff from
earlier Smalltalks).

One observation: Display>>form doesn't do much work, but
Display>>composeForm does, and (in the case of Morphic) it strangely first
creates a TextMorph of the text, gets an image from that with a depth of
1, then builds a ColorForm on which it draws that image.  Don't know why
all of that work--seems like just one really good rendering on an
appropriately configured form or canvas should have done the trick, but,
as mentioned, I don't yet grok Squeak's rendering architecture.

Yet.