Funding

Gary Fisher gafisher at sprynet.com
Fri Dec 13 14:16:55 UTC 2002

If I might make a suggestion, it might be worthwhile to investigate whether
your local school(s) would support a modest, introductory Smalltalk course.
In my area, the Community Education programs are very active, and by
offering to teach classes in my discipline, geared toward the needs of the
schools and students, I've not only interested others in new things, but
acquired a few extra points for my cv and made several good contacts, all
while earning a few bucks for my effort, and all pretty much on my own
schedule.

I suspect a beginner-level course in any of a dozen of Squeak's particular
strong points -- game development, say, or anything music-related -- could
be a "best seller," especially when prospective students learn they will be
able to use their newfound knowledge on virtually any computer.  From there,
it should be easy to convince your "graduates" to rally for more advanced
classes.  With a little cultivation, you could turn a few weeks of
preparation into as long a contract as you are willing to grant.

Gary Fisher