Supporting multiple simultaneous Projects

Stephen Pair spair at acm.org
Fri Dec 13 18:31:18 UTC 2002

I just found (and correct) a little snafu with my Runtime Environments
package (on SqueakMap) involving the way a new UIProcess gets created
whenever the current UIProcess encounters an unhandled exception.

Anyway, I got to poking around and realized that my Runtime Environments
package would perfect for supporting multiple Squeak heads (morphic
projects) running in a single Squeak session.  I can simply bind the
current project, UIProcess, and Sensor to runtime environment variables
and have a different runtime environment for each UIProcess.  Simple!
(but I'm sure there are other issues I haven't thought of)

If we could get support in the VMs for opening multiple windows, it
should be fairly easy to get support for multiple simultaneous Projects
done.  (don't know what multi-headed MVC support would entail however)

- Stephen