Grassroots Smalltalk (was Re: Funding)

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Fri Dec 13 20:19:09 UTC 2002

Hi

> (1) pair-programming/Squeak-tutoring at a cafe/coffee joint
> (2) demos at Borders/B&N
> (3) showing parents with young children how to play in Squeak with
> their
> kids
> (4) promoting Squeak with Montessori schools, etc.
> (5) demoing Squeak at homeschooling events
> (6) world-wide SqueakDay

This is difficult but this is what we are trying to do with ESUG
	- sending books and even teachers around,
	- having a free cd full of books and smalltalks,
	- this is also why my lectures are free to use on my web page
	(I'm converting everything in ppt so that more people can use it,
	I should have once a chinese translation),
	- collecting all the out of print books to let people discover
	Smalltalk by themselves.

	- I still think that a book Smalltalk for the Java programmer is
	missing
	- I'm writing a book for fathers or teachers on Squeak
	(in fact I realize that this may end up been two books because
	I have more than 600 pages and a too large audience)

	- the key thing like dan said is not to lose our dreams,
	I know that this is difficult for certain persons in this bad	period,
the smalltalk market is shrinking also, but
	the key point is to do what you can do at your level. Because
	each of us can do something at his own level. So just look around
	you and do want make you feel better.

	- I'm doing all kinds of Squeak and Smalltalk presentations.
	Organizing ESUG which is not easy but really important and bring
	a lot of energy in the community.

	-This is not easy to not teach Java. So what is important is that
	the stronger we are the more freedom we have, so I should look
	smart, play well the academic rules to gain more freedom. But
	at the end the stronger each squeaker is the stronger the community
	is and the stronger the community is the stronger each of us can be.

Stef