[ANN] VNC 0.1a on SqueakMap

Derek Brans brans at nerdonawire.com
Sat Dec 14 00:06:34 UTC 2002

Hi Colin,

Great work!  It is quite slow, though.  Do you know where improvements
can be made for speed?

When we spoke briefly about this type of project, I was thinking of
doing an all-squeak solution that featured a client-side project with
stub windows to represent windows on the remote server.  All mouse and
keyboard events would go straight to the server.  Drag events would be
sent to the server at the conclusion of a drag.  All drawing would be
handled client-side since both sides would be running morphic.

Derek

On Saturday, December 7, 2002, at 02:14 PM, Colin Putney wrote:

> This is a preliminary release of the VNC server I've been tinkering
> with. It's straight Smalltalk, no VM plugins necessary.
>
> VNC is a remote display protocol, similar to X11. There are clients for
> most platforms. See <http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/> for more
> information.
>
> Known issues:
> 	- It's slow. Too slow to be useful.
> 	- Keyboard events haven't been implemented.
> 	- Mouse events have, but they often get lost.
> 	- This release only supports 32-bit display depth.
> 	- Client disconnects are not handled gracefully.

Nerd on a Wire: Web and Information Solutions
Website Design - Database Systems - Site Hosting
604.874.6463
mailto:info at nerdonawire.com
For more information, visit http://nerdonawire.com