World-wide-web of objects

Noel J. Bergman noel at devtech.com
Sat Dec 14 07:04:53 UTC 2002

> I want to turn Squeak into a world-wide-web of objects with security,
> call it SqueakWeb, so customers can share their data easily.

If you are serious about wanting a world-wide-web of objects with security,
and you want to do it in Squeak, and you want funding, I have two words for
you: Web services.

Ok, that's the hype.  For the other half of the hype (the academic side),
you might consider the REST model and how one could view the WWW as objects,
as well as integrating the various Web services approaches.

The area of Web services has both academic and commercial aspects.  Right
now you have the SOAP community building the latest generation of
SNA/DCE/CORBA with new tools, the JINI community doing Java agents/proxies,
and the REST community looking at the entire notion of Web services
differently.  Lastly, there is the Semantic Web.  So lots to work on.

Selling the use of Smalltalk might be more of a challenge than selling Java,
but the ability of Smalltalk to dynamically integrate discovered interfaces
over the web would be a benefit.  And anyone invested in Smalltalk, and
wanting not to get caught out of Web services should have an interest.

	--- Noel