Alan's scrambled sentence demo

Tim W. tyguy11 at mindspring.com
Sat Dec 14 20:37:09 UTC 2002

Boris Gaertner wrote:

>Tim W. <tyguy11 at mindspring.com> asked:
>

>>I recently viewed a video of a presentation by Alan. Is the demo of the
>>scrambling sentence available ?
>>

>Tim,
>
>have a look at
>http://www.squeakland.org/author/essays.html
>Here you find an active essay written by Ted Kaehler. It
>contains a demo that creates sentences by evolution.
>I think this is what you are looking for.
>
>To see the active essay, you need a plugin that enables
>Squeak to run in your browser. If you do not have that
>plugin, you will have to visit this page:
>http://squeakland.org/plugin/download.html
>For Windows, you download a plugin installer from
>http://squeakland.org/plugin/installers/win.html
>(file size 3,8 MBytes)
>When you have executed the installer, you can go to the
>page with the active essay and read it. To enjoy that essay
>as it should be enjoyed, you should take some time.
>
>Hope this helps
>Boris

Dan hit it on the money. The project is on Bob's super swiki and is
called WanderingLetters (around April,2001). There is a Realplayer video
of a presentation by Alan at Polytechnic University demonstrating this.
I think the crowd was quite impressed. I wanted to see how close I came
to understanding how it was done. Thanks for the timely responses everybody.

Tim